A guide to buying the best ecommerce website builder
In the past decade, the ecommerce segment has expanded exponentially. Almost anything you can think of can now be bought online. Needless to say, the online marketplace is in its most competitive phase at the moment. Entering this arena can be particularly challenging for aspiring or small business owners who have limited resources to work with. Relatable? If you too often wonder, “how to build an ecommerce website from scratch?” or “how to start an online store with no money?”, then you should peruse our article. We wish to offer a comprehensive insight into the makings of a lucrative online store with the help of ecommerce website builders. Let’s get started!
How ecommerce website works?
An ecommerce website is much like a physical outlet; however, what makes it distinct is that it functions digitally. For an ecommerce website to work, first, you will need a product or service to sell. It could be physical goods (such as books, electronics, clothes, furniture, etc.). It could also entail the sale of digital products such as ebooks, software, music, and more.
Once a customer has chosen a product or service, the shopping cart comes into the picture. Apart from computing taxes and the total bill, it also involves the management of other aspects of the sale such as –
- Acceptance of terms and conditions
- Creation of invoice, order, and tracking numbers
- Delivery options
- Forwarding customers to the payment gateway
Once the customer pays via the preferred medium, logistics will be arranged so that the order can be delivered within the stipulated timeline. If the product is damaged or unsuitable, a reliable ecommerce website should have viable reverse logistics in place so that the customer can return or exchange the product.
Finally, approachable customer support is a must for resolving any queries a customer might have before or after their purchase. Their conduct and responsiveness play a key role in sustaining customer loyalty and satisfaction.
How to choose the best ecommerce builder?
To create an online store from scratch, you will first need to invest in a good ecommerce website builder. You might be worried about the money required to buy a plan; however, there are several providers offering free plans. But you should remember that free plans come with the most basic features and might entail ads as well. Eventually, as your business grows you’ll have to upgrade. There’s a silver lining to this of course! Most ecommerce website builders come with affordable monthly fees. So ideally once the sales pick up, you don’t have a reason to be apprehensive about the cost of maintaining the site.
While choosing an ecommerce website builder, we suggest you make a checklist with the following parameters in mind.
- Ease of use – If you are not hiring a developer to create an online store, it is essential that you select an ecommerce website builder that doesn’t require you to have any technical knowledge and is user-friendly. Something as trivial as choosing templates to something as critical as setting up the shopping cart should be an effortless task. So before you proceed with any plan, scrutinize the functionality factor to know what works best for you.
- Features – Running an online store is way different from handling a regular website. Since there will be a myriad products and services involved, a specific set of features are needed, such as shopping cart, multiple payment options, discount and promotion tools, reporting tools, marketing and SEO tools, mobile compatibility, and logistics integration. So while browsing for plans, don’t miss to check these features.
- Design – An attractive looking site will encourage more visitor traffic; so ensure that the provider you are planning to pick comes with a range of stunning templates and an intuitive interface that’s easily navigable. Likewise, the templates should be highly customizable so that you can retain the unique factor of your brand.
Best Ecommerce Website Builders for Small Businesses
To help you get started, we have curated the top 5 ecommerce website builders. All the listed providers offer a mix of must-have features for ecommerce sites as well as the advanced ones that can help enhance the performance of your online business. Let’s take a look at them!
- Wix.com – The ecommerce website builder by Wix.com renders 500+ designer-made templates, an easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface, mobile-optimized versions, custom domains, and advanced marketing and SEO tools. Furthermore, they provide unlimited bandwidth and don’t charge any form on commission on sales. These reasonably priced ecommerce website builder plans are also ad-free.
- WooCommerce – At the moment, ecommerce website builder plans by WooCommerce are one of the most affordable ones in the industry. They come with secure online payment options, a free domain, and user-friendly themes. WooCommerce also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you are unhappy with the service. Some of their other important features include free SSL and Bluehost SEO tools.
- Weebly – Weebly comes with a host of features such as fully-integrated shopping cart, secured checkouts, trendy ecommerce storefronts and templates, inventory tracking and management, and filtered product search. Their advanced plan has features such as abandoned cart emails, real-time shipping, discounts and promotions, and free ad credits for Google, Bing, and Yelp.
- 3dcart – 3dcart’s ecommerce website builder plans are furnished with features such as unlimited product storage, comprehensive ecommerce marketing, real-time shipping, shipping labels, unlimited bandwidth, inventory control, digital downloads, reports and dashboards, and saved carts. Some of their advanced features include pre-orders, quote system, delivery estimate preview, and 24/7 phone support.
- 1ShoppingCart® – All 1ShoppingCart® plans have incredibly advanced features such as order fraud protection with encrypted image processing, inventory tracking, automated product up-sell module, discount options, coupon management, sales analysis tools, product on-sale pricing, support for over 50 payment gateways, and support for refunds/partial refunds.
To make a faster decision, you can take a look at our comparison blogs – Woocommerce vs. Weebly and 3dcart vs. Wix.
Titles to be incorporated in the article:
best ecommerce website builder for small business
how to build an ecommerce website from scratch
How to start an online store with no money
how to choose the best ecommerce builder
how ecommerce website works
must-have features for ecommerce sites
woocommerce vs weebly
3dcart vs wix